Natural diamond vs lab grown diamond
Choosing an engagement ring is a big decision in life. Also what diamond to choose, including the 4 C:s (carat, color, clarity & cut. To make it a bit more complex, you can also choose between natural or lab grown diamonds. What are the differences of natural diamond versus man made diamond? We sort out the concepts.
Is a lab grown diamond real?
Yes, it is as real as a natural diamond. But as the name tells, it is man-made in a lab, following the same process as a natural diamond. Lab grown diamond, synthetic diamond, man-made diamond are all names of the same type of synthetic diamond.
What are the difference between natural and lab grown diamond?
Here is a summary of the difference between the two diamonds.
- One of a kind
- Created by nature
- Maintain market value – a good investment
- Higher price
- Limited supply and price fluctuations depending on current demand.
- Requires mining which have a negative impact on the environment
- Supports people depending on mining for an income in development countries
LAB GROWN DIAMOND
- Created by man
- 30% lower price than natural diamond of similar size, color and clarity.
- Not even an expert can tell the difference between a lab grown diamond and natural diamond without advanced tools.
- A lab grown diamond has lower market value as there are no supply limitations.
- More environmentally friendly than natural diamonds as no mining is required, but also require high energy to create.
Which diamond is best, the natural or the lab grown diamond?
It is highly personal if you choose a natural diamond or a synthetic diamond, depending on your preferences. One option is not better than the other, they are simply not competing with each other as they have different pros and cons. Our collections are based on natural diamonds as we love the charm of a diamond or gemstone that is one of a kind, created by nature and not by man. However the upside of a better price and less environmental impact are important factors to our customers.
If you are interested in a lab grown diamond, contact us and we will be happy to provide that for you.